Delaware Bay Lighthouse Keepers
& Friends Association, Inc.
"Our mission is to preserve the history of the Delaware Bay
and River Lighthouses, Lightships and their Keepers."
Horseshoe Range East Group
This light was first put into operation in 1881 to help ships safely pass the Horseshoe Shoal and Horseshoe Bend on the Delaware River. The East Group set of ranges was situated at Howell’s Cove in New Jersey.
The rear range tower was a detached square, white tower of open frame work showing a fixed white light from a height 41 feet above the tower’s base. The front lights were shown from small, square structures only 6 feet above the base. The source of the light was from a locomotive head light lamp with one wick.
The white, 2 story keeper’s dwelling was near the rear range tower and had lead-colored trimming and green shutters. It was on a stone foundation and has 7 rooms.
The light was automated between 1921 and 1933. Around 1938 the range was reduced to 2 lights and the last keeper lived in the dwelling in 1933.