Delaware Bay Lighthouse Keepers
& Friends Association, Inc.
"Our mission is to preserve the history of the Delaware Bay
and River Lighthouses, Lightships and their Keepers."
Built in 1831 just south of the Smyrna River with a second floor added in 1841 the light tower and cupola protruded from the center of the roof. During the period of 1870 through 1900 the nearby shoreline was a small summer resort. The lighthouse road and steamboat landing helped to bring in vacationers. When heavy storms washed away most of the road around 1900, overland travel was disrupted and the road abandoned. In the 1960ís interest in restoration was expressed and initial plans to reopen the lighthouse to the public were started. The road was reopened somewhat but the plans then faded. Around 1974 the State Division of Fish and Wildlife demolished the structure due to the safety hazards it represented. The ruins can still be visited today.