Delaware Bay Lighthouse Keepers
& Friends Association, Inc.
"Our mission is to preserve the history of the Delaware Bay
and River Lighthouses, Lightships and their Keepers."
Brandywine Shoal Lighthouse
Delaware Bay, NJ
Brandywine Shoal Lighthouse is located at the southernmost part of the Delaware Bay, northwest of Cape May Point. It was the first screwpile lighthouse ever built in the United States. Its 3rd order Fresnel lens shone for the first time on October 28, 1850. After serving well for over 60 years, a new conical structure, requiring less maintenance, was built on a caisson of reinforced concrete and was lit on October 20, 1914. This Light Station is still an important aid to navigation and was the last Lighthouse in the Delaware Bay to have a keeper on board! Automation took place about 1974...the end of a once proud era!
Photo by Carole F. Reily. Vintage photo circa 1900, courtesy of Bill Biggs of Port Norris, NJ.