Delaware Bay Lighthouse Keepers
& Friends Association, Inc.
"Our mission is to preserve the history of the Delaware Bay
and River Lighthouses, Lightships and their Keepers."
Cape May Lighthouse
Atlantic Ocean and Delaware Bay, NJ
The present Cape May Lighthouse, located at Cape May Point, NJ, is the third beacon to aid navigation where the Atlantic Ocean and the Delaware Bay meet. The first structure, built in 1823, was destroyed by erosion. The site now lies approximately 100 yards off shore southwest of the present tower. Due to poor maintenance and construction, the second beacon, built in 1847, had to be demolished in 1862. The base was retained and used for storage. The third and present tower was built in 1859 and is constructed of double brick masonry walls. The tower stands 157 feet and six inches tall - with a cast iron spiral staircase of 199 steps leading up to the lantern room. Originally maintained by Keepers employed by the US Lighthouse Service (USLHS), the beacon is now administered by the Mid-Atlantic Center for the Arts (MAC) which was overseen the complete restoration since 1986.
Photo by Carole F. Reily. Vintage photo circa 1907, courtesy of Don Pocher, Cape May, NJ.