Delaware Bay Lighthouse Keepers
& Friends Association, Inc.
"Our mission is to preserve the history of the Delaware Bay
and River Lighthouses, Lightships and their Keepers."
From 1838 on, the Cohansey Lighthouse played an important role in safeguarding the river traffic and guiding the watermen at work on the bay. The original stood until 1882 and was replaced by the second structure. In 1883 the new Cohansey Lighthouse was lit. It was a white frame with green shutters, surmounted by a black, square tower. The light was used until its public sale in 1913 and was destroyed by fire in 1933.