Delaware Bay Lighthouse Keepers
& Friends Association, Inc.
"Our mission is to preserve the history of the Delaware Bay
and River Lighthouses, Lightships and their Keepers."
First established on Nov. 15, 1960, the station was never a part of the former Fourth Lighthouse District, although it was within its boundaries. The lightship helped mark the approach to the Delaware Bay from the south.
Built in 1923 by the Bath Iron Works at a cost of about $200,000, the ship was 132 feet long, had a wide beam of 30 feet, a draft of about 15 feet and a displacement of 775 tons. The vessel was originally powered by 400 horsepower steam compound reciprocating engine, two oil-fired Scotch marine boilers and a 4 bladed propeller which could move it along at a 9 knot maximum.
The lightship had a group of flashing white lights that was visible up to 14 miles in clear weather. It also had a series of chime whistles and horns over its time of service. This ship was decommissioned in 1968.
A second had been built in 1930 at the Charleston Drydock & Machine Company in Charleston, SC for $275,000. It was a steel hulled vessel powered by a diesel electric motor that had a maximum speed of 10 knots. The ship was 133 feet long, had a 30 foot beam, a draft of 13 feet and displaced 630 tons. The ship was withdrawn in 1970 because of the expense.