Delaware Bay Lighthouse Keepers
& Friends Association, Inc.
"Our mission is to preserve the history of the Delaware Bay
and River Lighthouses, Lightships and their Keepers."
Egg Island Lighthouse
Lit on Aug. 20, 1838, the light was visible for about 14 miles. In 1856 the lighthouse was either extensively repaired or entirely rebuilt.
Through its time of use the lighthouse had problems with structure, the surrounding land and water, was moved, had boat houses, oil sheds and boardwalks added and removed and was subject to several inspections that reported many problems.
After more that 24 keepers had come and gone the lighthouse was replaced by an automated light in 1921.