Delaware Bay Lighthouse Keepers
& Friends Association, Inc.
"Our mission is to preserve the history of the Delaware Bay
and River Lighthouses, Lightships and their Keepers."
Harbor of Refuge Lighthouse
Delaware Bay, Delaware
By November 20, 1908, the first tower (see inset) had been built and its 4th order lens lit. Located on the SE end of the outer breakwater near Lewes, Delaware, its hexagonal, white, three-story wooden superstructure was not suited to that location...exposed to the forces of nature where the Atlantic Ocean meets the Delaware Bay. Prior to 1926, the tower was severely damaged by a storm and had to be demolished. By 1926, a new black and white tower, still a navigational aid today, was built. In 2002, the Delaware River & Bay Lighthouse Foundation received a 20 year lease from the US Coast Guard for restoration of the Harbor of Refuge Light. In June, 2003, history was made when a launch filled with visitors docked and boarded Harbor of Refuge Lighthouse for its first public tour!
Photo by Carole F. Reily. Insert Photo from the Collection of Bob Lewis. Many thanks to Jean Jones and Capt. Stewart of "The Cape May Whalewatcher" for their help. Referenced from "Guiding Lights of the Delaware River and Bay" by Jim Gowdy and Kim Ruth.