Delaware Bay Lighthouse Keepers
& Friends Association, Inc.
"Our mission is to preserve the history of the Delaware Bay
and River Lighthouses, Lightships and their Keepers."
Liston Front and Rear Range Lights
Delaware Bay, Delaware
The light of the permanent Front Range Lighthouse structure was first exhibited near the end of December 1908. The 4th order range lens showed an occulting white light of 62,000 candle power from 50 feet above mean high water. The light had a three second cycle, with 2 seconds on and 1 second eclipsed, and was produced by a shutter apparatus set in front of the lens and operated by clockwork. The one unusual aspect at the site of the former Liston Front Range Lighthouse is the concrete gun emplacements that were installed in 1942. These were involved in efforts to defend against the threat of enemy attack during World War II. The present day light is operated and maintained by the U.S. Coast Guard and remains lit 24 hours a day. The former lighthouse is located along the rivers edge on private property.
Liston Front Range Light.
The Liston Rear Range Lighthouse is a black tower located three miles inland. The locomotive type reflector light was replaced with a range lens light on November 10, 1906. Due to the large size of the new lens, the outer wall of the lantern room was reworked leaving a bulge in the wall on both sides of the lens that allowed the keeper to pass around the lighting apparatus. The Coast Guard owns the small piece of property where the light tower stands.
Liston Rear Range Light.