Delaware Bay Lighthouse Keepers
& Friends Association, Inc.
"Our mission is to preserve the history of the Delaware Bay
and River Lighthouses, Lightships and their Keepers."
Maurice River Cove Front and Rear Range
The Maurice River Cove Light Station was constructed in 1898 on the west side of the Maurice River mouth. The front and rear range lights were not constructed upon the dwelling, but on separate posts connected by wooden walkways constructed over the marsh. A 1901 light list describes them as being 8 foot and 16 foot respectively. The lights marked the entrance to the Maurice River and were used by vessels plying the oyster trade.
The station consisted of a keeper's dwelling, an oil house, and a boat house. The station was accessible only by boat, although at times the various keepers constructed wooden walkways to dry land.
The station was used until sometime between 1924-1935 when the range was automated and the keeper's removed. The keeper's house and lighthouse were destroyed by fire on April 27. 1958.