Delaware Bay Lighthouse Keepers
& Friends Association, Inc.
"Our mission is to preserve the history of the Delaware Bay
and River Lighthouses, Lightships and their Keepers."
Miah Maull Shoal Lighthouse
Delaware Bay, NJ
Miah Maull Shoal Lighthouse derived its strange name from the fact that a man named Nehemiah Maull drowned near the present site in a late 18th century shipwreck. In 1909, a temporary light shone from the cast iron foundation shell which later that year was partially filled with concrete. At last, in 1913, the permanent light was exhibited for the first time from its 4th order lens which was visible for 15 miles. Originally painted brown, Miah Maull (by 1941) was "listed" as having a red tower and watch-room, a black lantern room and sitting on a gray base. During renovation in the early 80's, the metal canopy covering the walkway was removed by the US Coast Guard sadly altering its appearance. By 1973, Miah Maull was fully automated and is still an active aid to navigation and a favorite fishing spot to many!
Photo by Carole F. Reily. Special thanks to Millard Usinger for vintage photos of Miah Maull . Referenced from "Guiding Lights of the Delaware River and Bay" by Jim Gowdy and Kim Ruth.