Delaware Bay Lighthouse Keepers
& Friends Association, Inc.
"Our mission is to preserve the history of the Delaware Bay
and River Lighthouses, Lightships and their Keepers."
Established in 1898 the Overfalls Lightship marked the southern end of the extensive Overfalls Shoal as well as the junction of the north and south traffic lanes from the Delaware Bay.
Four different light vessels served at the Overfalls Shoal Light Station; LV 46 from 1898 to 1901, LV 69 from 1901 through 1925, LV 101/WAL 524 from 1926 to 1951 and WLV 605 from 1951 to 1960. The last Overfalls Lightship was discontinued in Nov. 1960 for a one year trial period but was never reactivated and was replaced by buoys.
In the 1970s LV118/WAL 539 was marked as “Overfalls”. The Lewes Historical Society marked the vessel for the Overfalls Shoal Light Station although it never served there.