Delaware Bay Lighthouse Keepers
& Friends Association, Inc.
"Our mission is to preserve the history of the Delaware Bay
and River Lighthouses, Lightships and their Keepers."
Ship John Shoal Lighthouse
Delaware Bay, NJ
Ship John Shoal Lighthouse was named after the Ship "John" - wrecked in 1787 near the site of the present structure located in the northern part of the Bay near the mouth of the Cohansey River. The iron superstructure, a part of the lighthouse exhibit at the 1876 International Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia, was brought to the shoal and placed in position where it became a permanent structure in 1877. Its 4th order Fresnel lens became fully automated in 1973. The lens has since been replaced by a modern optic and is still a working aid to navigation. The original lens is now on display at the Coast Guard Air Station in Pomona, NJ.
Photo by Carole F. Reily. Inset photo from the Collection of Bob Lewis. Special thanks to Jean Jones and Captain Stewart of "The Cape May Whalewatcher" for their help. . Referenced from "Guiding Lights of the Delaware River and Bay" by Jim Gowdy and Kim Ruth.